Here are the bird sightings from Jan.1 that I know about:

IL birds:
Carlyle Lake:, Clinton co., IL
- GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL near the dam
- NO Long-tailed duck or Slaty-backed Gull seen
- Saw-whet seen. No mention of Long-eared Owls

MO birds:
Riverlands MBS, St. Charles co.
- Josh posted his stuff from RMBS - THANKS Josh!
-We did NOT re-find his Prairie Falcon, Glaucous Gull, Tundra Swans, but we
did not try very hard. It was too cold and too WINDY to see much...
but....did find two CACKLING GEESE in Teal Pond. I am sure there are
more.Did not see any White-fronts either when there were many on Dec 31....?

South St. Louis:
Following msg from Bill Rudden:
MERLIN: The south area pigeon hawk is back for the winter.  First sighting
1-1-08 along
River Des Peres canal.  Germania side one block east of Morganford.

Highlights from Orchard Farm CBC, St. Charles co. (very cold and WINDY):
Birds were hard to find (for us anyway) because of the high winds and mostly
exposed areas in our section.
Think those with subdivisions and feeders in their sections fared better.
- YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER by the Library in Portage Des Sioux - seen by Jim
and I
- LAPLAND LONGSPURS:  Reported by Dick Coles and Ann McCormack but did not
hear where...BTW..we had lots of Horned Larks grouped together along Hwy H,
between Music Ferry Rd and Mertz Rd. (near the town of Blackberry..?? or
something like that..no DeLorme on hand)
- RUSTY BLACKBIRDS: Randy Korotev's party reported them PAST the Grafton
Ferry docking area on the MO side. Look in the little subdivision.
- NO (!!) Great-Tailed Grackles at the cattle yard at Seeburger/Church. NO
Rusties either.....?????!!!!!

Do not know about the Fenton hummingbird.
Anyone go see the RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD in Jeff. co. on Jan. 1?

Well, think that is it

Have a Safe, Healthy and Birdy New Year!
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.