CALL FOR PAPERS -- PLEASE CIRCULATE

FROM THE MLA DIVISION FOR GERMAN LITERATURE BEFORE 1700

FOR THE MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE IN SAN FRANCISCO, DEC. 27-30, 2008.

1. The Constructed Self: Revisiting the I With New Eyes
Papers sought that examine any aspect of the poetic subject (or subject position) in medieval or early modern literature (lyric, epic, romance, drama, chronicle, or devotional literature). Papers might consider questions such as: Since the eschewing of biographical criticism in the 1980s and 1990s, is there anything to be gained from re-thinking the relationship between the I of a text and a historical counterpart or author? What can we say about the I now that we acknowledge its constructedness (whether as a literary device, a set of subject positions, or as an instantiation of a particular gender configuration)?

2. The Form of the World: Site, Sound, and Symbol in Pre-Modern German Literature

Papers sought that examine any sensual aspect in relation to medieval and early modern German literature: sight, touch, sound, smell, or taste. Topics might include the representation and symbolic deployment of material objects either sacred or profane, the structuring and interpretation of space (architecture) and landscape, the role of music or song in a particular text, the significance of smell and taste in secular and sacred literature. Also of interest would be examinations of texts themselves as material objects (in and outside of manuscripts) how they relate to the material world in which they were produced (for example in a monastery, at court, in the town) or to other material works of art (painting, architecture, sculpture, etc.).

3. Open Topics in Medieval and Early Modern Studies

1-page abstracts by March 1, 2008 to Sara S. Poor at [log in to unmask]

Sara S. Poor

Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies

Department of German

Princeton University

211 East Pyne

Princeton, NJ 08544