CALL FOR PAPERS

The Society for Reformation Research (SRR; see our website at
www.reformationresearch.org) is now accepting proposals for individual papers
and complete sessions for its joint sessions with the Sixteenth Century Studies
Conference (SCSC), to be held October 23-26, 2008 in St. Louis (the full SCSC
Call for papers is found below). We seek papers for a general theme as well as
a number of panels (described below). In line with our mission to support
instruction of Reformation history and Reformation themes in other courses, we
also solicit papers with a primary focus on teaching (see below).

The SRR, a North-American scholarly organization and partner group to the Verein
fuer Reformationgeschichte, is concerned with the Protestant and Catholic
Reformations and all other aspects of religious life in the early modern era.
The SRR is also very interested in joint sponsorships with groups and
institutions in the U.S. and abroad.

If you would like to submit a paper or session for sponsorship by the SRR,
please contact Susan Boettcher by email only: [log in to unmask]
The deadline for submissions in March 15, 2008, but earlier submissions will be
accepted gratefully and receive prompt consideration. Papers should not have
been previously presented at any other scholarly meeting nor have been
published.

--General Theme: THE APPEAL OF THE REFORMATION

A generation ago, a central theme of Reformation Studies was the question of the
appeal of the Reformation: who found it attractive and why? This question was
reflected in studies about imperial cities in Germany, in questions about the
origins of the Reformation in England, even in discussions about situations in
places where the Reformation did not take hold but created dissident
minorities, as in Italy and Poland. The question attracted the attention of
scholars like Steven Ozment, Gerald Strauss, Natalie Davis, Christopher Haigh,
Robert Kingdon and others too numerous to mention; it spawned dozens of local
studies. One of its most intriguing (and challenging) features was the
question’s ability to connect practitioners of different disciplines and
contrast different kinds of evidence.

Twenty years on, the SRR is interested in readdressing this question now with
all of the new research and new approaches at our disposal, from all
disciplinary and national perspectives. We would encourage thus encourage
papers that reassess this question from research projects that may not
necessarily have it as their major focus. Themes may include, but are not
limited to, the following themes: reassessments of the classic formulations of
the question; potential theological or emotional appeal of certain evangelical
positions; situations where the Reformation did not appeal; empirical and
comparative discussion of concrete local situations; considerations of the
rhetorical and visual appeals made to different audiences; comparative weighing
of group or class interest in the Reformation; reasons for appeal rooted in
intellectual history or historical theology; the appeal of the Reformation as
noted in ego-documents; the role of religious appeals in context of other
factors such as politics or economics; strategies for helping our students
today to understand the appeal (or lack of appeal) of the Reformation.

--Individual Panels: These are panels separate from the main theme, some of
which are being organized by members of the SRR.

a. Papers are sought for a session on biconfessional situations and
interactions.

b. Papers are sought for a session on Calvin, Geneva, and the Reformed
Tradition.

c. Papers are sought for one or more sessions on the Reformation in Scandinavia.
These papers could treat not only Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and
the Baltic States, but also interactions and cultural transfers between these
areas and other regions of Europe. We welcome papers that draw on current
research as well as assessments of the status of the field.

d. Papers are sought for a session on “Sources for Teaching the Reformation.”
These could include particular sources that participants have found useful, as
well as strategies for helping students to come to terms with them.

---
GENERAL CFP

The Sixteenth Century Society and Conference (SCSC) is now accepting proposals
for individual papers and complete sessions for its annual conference, to be
held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown St. Louis, MO, 23-26 October 2008.
The SCSC is an interdisciplinary scholarly society that is interested in the
early modern era (ca. 1450-1660), and its geographical scope is broadly
defined. We also welcome roundtable proposals sponsored by scholarly societies
that are affiliated with the SCSC.

Proposals with abstracts (up to 200 words in length) for papers and sessions may
be submitted on-line at:
http://www.sixteenthcentury.org/members/index.php

The deadline for submitting paper proposals (using our on-line form,
or by mail or email) is March 15th. More information about the SCSC is available
at its general website: www.sixteenthcentury.org