----- Original Message -----
From: Paul D. and Georgean Kyle<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: Georgean Kyle<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; Joyce Rosson<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Shirley Needham<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; Linda Hufford<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: [WLREHAB] Avian: chimney swift alternative nestboxes?

Joyce, Shirley, Linda and all,

The European Swifts (Apus apus) are very unlike our Chimney Swifts in their posture and behavior.  They are much more like Purple Martins and other swallows.  The nest boxes used in Europe will not be useful to Chimney Swifts.  However, they probably would be used by White-throated Swifts which are more similar to Apus apus.

Best Regards,

Paul and Georgean

Paul D. and Georgean Z. Kyle
Driftwood Wildlife Association
1206 West 38th, Suite 1105
Austin, Texas 78705

Visit our web site:
www.chimneyswifts.org<http://www.chimneyswifts.org/>

We Support the Travis Audubon Society
"Inspiring Conservation Through Birding"
www.travisaudubon.org<http://www.travisaudubon.org/>