I visited Carlyle Lake today.   The Glaucous-winged Gull was still around the marina and there are still a couple of Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the lake.  I ran into Dan Kassebaum who told me that the Slaty-backed has not been seen for certain since the 18th.  There was also an Long-tailed Duck, a beautiful drake complete with long tail, between Green Meadows and Hickory Hollow (Point 18) in among the Goldeneye.  There were a couple of Black Ducks in among the large Mallard flock, but they were well out on the lake.  There are hunters and boats on the lake and the birds are not usually into shore.
Dan showed me a Saw-whet owl in the usual spot in the South Shore area.  There has only been one there so far this year, but it is perching in a relatively sparse tree and can be easier than usual to see.  It moves about, but Dan has marked its favorite tree with a red flag. Dan also mentioned that they had three Barn Owls this year on the CBC.   On the drive back, I saw a beautiful dark phase Red-tailed Hawk.  Almost completely black except for the flight feathers below and the red sheen on the tail.

David Becher
Saint Louis