Merry Christmas to all (Happy Holidays to others)!

The past few days, I have ventured out to several of the fairly nearby caches with not much too much to report. Yesterday, I did happened upon a couple of Cackling Geese in a flock of ~40 Canadas at a small pond owned by Tranquil Lake (Pond) Bed and Breakfast in northwest Scott County.

As for birds of prey, they are everywhere. I guess with all the flooded fields here in the bootheel, the rodents are a bit waterlogged and are forced from their cover of safety due to the water levels. The 22 mile drive between Sikeston and our house gave way to 15 Kestrels, 10 RT Hawks, 18 N. Harriers and 5 Loggerhead Shrikes.

In the last 4-5 weeks, it's an odd sight NOT to see a Harrier buzz our yard each day (it helps that we're surrounded by pasture and farm fields). We have seen, yesterday and today, two Harriers successful in their hunting efforts. We know that there are at least 4 individual Harriers that frequent the yard (area) Two adults were seen at one time, as well as two imm. hunting together.

Why, even the Owl activity is picking up. For the past two weeks two individual GH Owls have been using our roof top on different occasions throughout the nights calling back and forth to one another. One owl's "I DO" is doubled - "I-I . . . DO-DO".

Good winter birding! Stay warm and healthy! Off to Michigan for a few days!Chris Barrigarhttp://community.webshots.com/user/photosbychris