Hello all, are you out counting today.  I had planned to participate in the Four-Rivers CA CBC area today, but it was cancelled because of inclement weather. YECH!!  I really get keyed up for these things, and it is a big let down when they get cancelled.

Larry's thoughtful question as to why one would pay more than once to participate in a CBC was an interesting one.
I know, not all, but a significant number of people count in more than one CBC area each year.  I usually participate in at least four every year, but sometimes as many as five.  Of course not everyone is as insane as I am.  If each person paid just once to participate, but participated in more than on count, and many do, then the total sum of money needed to help pay for the CBC program overhead would decline.  If the total sum declines then it would be necessary to increase the individual cost to participate.  In other words, each individual would need to pay a higher per person fee to make up the difference.  An increase in cost never makes for great publicity whether it is a tax base, or a non-profit organization. Then I can see some people thinking it is unfair that they pay the same fee as someone who does more than one count.

I don't know how long the CBC fee has been $5, but I know long before gas was nearly $3 a gallon in this area.  With the importance of the CBC data, the positive publicity it brings to many communities each year, and they way it provides a great opportunity for each of us to participate, $5 a count seems to me to be a bargain.

And, as a reminder, it brings forth the importance of the ASM CACHE, and SPARKS program.  As the years go by this data will become even more and more important.  Visualize what this data will mean to our State's communities in the future, and the publicity (and needed funding) it will bring towards bird conservation.  I know I have to keep kicking myself in the butt to input like I need too, but it is almost a new year, so a New Year's resolution to do a better job of reporting to these important programs seems to be in order.

Watch out for falling ice, and slippery roads.

Charley Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon
Greene County