After my last post I ran down to Clydesdale County Park in St. Louis County to
look (and listen) for Carolina Chickadees. As I stepped out of the car one
CAROLINA CHICKADEE was singing near the parking lot. Later I would hear
several more singing.

As I walked through the park I stopped to whistle like a screech-owl to see
what I could turn up. Several CAROLINA CHICKADEES and TUFTED TITMICE
responded immediately, and then a DOWNY WOODPECKER flew in. After a few
minutes and a few WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHES later I thought, "Wow, this
is working better than it does in New York!" I turned around and saw that
most of the birds were centered around a hole about twenty feet up a tree. I
stopped whistling, but a faint trill from an EASTERN SCREECH-OWL was coming
from inside the hole. My ego was crushed, but the real owl drew in a few
BROWN CREEPERS and a single RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH (second Christmas
in a row to find RB Nut at this park) for me to watch for a bit. The owl never
poked its head out so I could actually see it.

When I continued down the trail/bike road I saw several MOURNING DOVES,
NORTHERN CARDINALS, DARK-EYED JUNCOS, SONG SPARROWS, HOUSE FINCH,
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS and HOUSE SPARROWS, but the best birds of
the walk went unseen. Two PINE SISKINS flew towards Tesson Ferry Road
while givint several distinct flight notes. My first in Missouri since January 2005!

Good birding again,

Ryan Douglas
Ithaca, NY/St. Louis, MO