     Today we did the unofficial Cuivre River State Park CBC which just covers the state park itself and nothing else.  While there were some pretty good birds throughout the day by far the best bird was a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE found by Eric Schuette about 3:00 this afternoon.  Unfortunately for me I had decided to check out another area in the vicinity and managed to miss the bird.  He saw it on the same perch twice in a couple minute span but by the time I arrived it had left the perch and in the subsequent hour and half or so of searching the cedar thickets we couldn't turn it back up.  The plan is to go back tomorrow morning to look for it again before the front comes through so I will try to get the results, positive or negative out as quickly as I can.

     For those who are interested in the location it is along Big Sugar Creek roughly in the middle of the park.  To get there one has to hike about a mile down an old road from the main park road.  The old road leaves from the Big Sugar Creek trailhead along the main park road on the left about a quarter of a mile north of the Camp Sherwood Forest Group Camp and about a half mile north of the campground road.   After walking the mile or so the road will turn sharply right and head down the hill into the creek bottoms.  Once it hits the bottoms there will be an old field on the right that has its main entrance just before a trail leaves to the right where the brush and cedars open up for a short distance.  The bird was at the north end of this old field just over the rise and past the small pond.  There are cedars to the east, west, and north of the old field so the bird could be pretty much anywhere in the vicinity assuming it is still there.

     As to the rest of the birds the two best were an Eastern Phoebe along Big Sugar Creek just north of the Hwy. KK bridge and a Northern Goshawk just below the dam for Lake Lincoln.  Other good birds or good numbers of birds included 4 Red-shouldered Hawks, 4 Brown Creepers, 5 Golden-crowned Kinglets, 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 25 Pleated Woodpeckers, 6 Hermit Thrushes, 13 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 Field Sparrow, and a couple Purple Finches.  Otherwise it was just the typical woodland birds.

Scott Schuette
Troy, MO / Tucson, AZ