Many thanks to Columbia area birders who braved adverse conditions of
falling snow and sleet, while walking and driving on snow covered ice, to
count birds today for our annual CBC. It was worth it! While the count is
preliminary and the documentation on several species is pending acceptance
by the MO bird records committee it appears we finally achieved our goal of
seeing more than 100 species. In fact, it appears that we actually saw 102
species today.

Species requiring documentation included Dickcissel, Brewer's Blackbird,
Northern Saw-whet Owl, and American Pipit. Other "good finds" included
Winter Wren, Sora, Virginia Rail, 16 species of waterfowl, and lingering
Least Sandpiper, Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe, Brown Thrasher, Hermit Thrush,
Brown Creeper and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Wow! We'll really sleep well tonight with the realization of a job well
done. Congratulations you'all, you did good!!!

Susan Hazelwood and Jim Gast, Co-compilers Columbia CBC
Boone County, MO