From: Greg Neise
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:43 PM
Subject: IBET Re: SLATY-BACKED GULL: BEWARE!

Hi All,

Michael Retter pointed out to me that some people who read IBET might
not be able to click through to view the pictures and commentary on
IBF, and might think that there may not be a slaty-backed gull out at
Carlyle Lake at all.

Rest assured, there is...or at least there was yesterday.

But there is an adult lesser black-backed gull with bright pink legs
and feet out there also, and it turns out that the pictures I posted
are of that bird, not the slaty-back. I didn't notice it at the time
because I was looking through the viewfinder of a camera, and intent
on maintaining focus on the dark mantled bird in front of me.

In any case, 5 observers DID see the SBG yesterday...but we also saw,
and I photographed this very confusing LBBG:

http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=1238.0

Hence the title: BEWARE!

-greg neise
Berwyn, IL