Spent today birding the S.W. portion of the bootheel (Little River Ca. and Hornersville Swamp Ca.) and ended at Otter Slough. I tallied (includes while driving): 58 Redtailed Hawks, 22 Am. Kestrels and 38 N. Harriers.

The winds were high farther south causing white caps on the Jerry Combs Lake there at Little River Ca. Four sp. of gulls were present: Herring, Ring-billed, Franklin's and Bonaparte's. There were 8 flyby Canvasbacks. An imm. Bald Eagle was perched back in the N.E. portion of the Ca.

Mostly the expected species were at Hornersville Swamp Ca. - nothing to crow about.

Otter Slough: Great numbers of most waterfowl species. I only saw 1 individual Hooded Merganser, and he was, in Cypress Lake nearest the HQ Building, calling and displaying very nicely. Canvasbacks and Redheads were also present as well as new arrivals of Buffleheads (not seen here last week). I was able to relocate the possible Spotted-type Towhee (whether it be pure or hybrid). It was in the same area as before (between CR691 and Cul de sac road on the cut path running East/West).

Good Birding!Chris Barrigar