On Saturday, Nov. 24, Ev Luecke and I had a productive day at Busch Conservation Area in St. Charles County. Most of the birds we saw were concentrated in a small area that is easy to reach. This spot has been consistently good in previous winters as well. Take Road C past Hampton Lake and go to the end of the prairie, where there is a path (gravel road) closed to cars on both sides of Road C. The area I am referring to is on the right side. From the paved road, you can see a puddle about 100 yards in - this was full of Cedar Waxwings and Robins bathing and drinking, and a lone Hermit Thrush. If you walk past the puddle, you will come to a more open area. We had Cedar Waxwings flying all around us at this location. A female Purple Finch flew in and out, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a White-breasted Nuthatch were working the trees. A Pileated Woodpecker flew by, and a Downy and Red-bellied Woodpecker were also seen. A flock of Bluebirds was in the area as well. Berries
 are plentiful at this spot, on Bush Honeysuckle and on the Red Cedars.

  At the clearing, if you bear to the left, you will soon arrive at the James F. Comfort Nature Study Area, sponsored by the Audubon Society of Missouri and the Webster Groves Nature Study Society many years ago. The sign has been well maintained by the Dept. of Conservation, although few people venture back there much any more.

  Other good birds of the day were a Red-shouldered Hawk behind the Visitor's Center and another Red-breasted Nuthatch at the start of Fallen Oak Trail. The WGNSS Saturday Group found a Snipe at Lake 33.

  Yvonne Homeyer
  St. Louis