On the way to work today on Rangeline Road about a half mile north of AB highway in eastern Boone County, I came upon a large flock of blackbirds in the fields on both sides of the road.  The birds covered the entire fields which I estiimated at about 30 acres total. Every square foot had about four birds in it with no gaps anywhere.  A calculation give about 5 million birds were present. They seemed to be coming in from the southeast or east of the area, perhaps from a night roost. The closest birds to the road were about 10 feet from the car and did not seem to fly away when I rolled the window down.  There were hundreds of Rusty Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, lots of Common Grackles, and European Starlings.  I imagine other species were present, but I had to move on.

This may be a daily event or it could move around to different fields, but it was memorable.

brad