What a surprise today when I picked up my mail from downstairs to find the new Birding magazine has a foldout cover of a painting of two Glaucous-winged Gulls.

  Jackie Chain

Jackie Chain <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:37:33 -0800
From: Jackie Chain <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Fw: IBET LITTLE GULL and GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL
To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks to Keith for refinding the Little Gull as we used the gravel piles to screen ourselves from the large flock of mostly Bonaparte's When the flock had settled back, the Little Gull was swimming around, repeatedly flashing his beautiful dark underwings. What a treat.

Several chance encounters and updates from Keith and Dan Kassebaum later... Keith left while I checked a pod of about thirty gulls I had glimpsed on the beach as I drove up the main road at Dam East. I didn't realize Keith hadn't seen the pod. As I scoped the pod from above at the corner of the big dam embankment and the road, the big G-W was there in all its glory, very wet gray and white feathers of its wings folded across its back without a speck of black, The huge pale yellow bill with red spot and the dark eye were clearly visible. My first adult Glaucous-winged in the St Louis area. I hadn't chased when it had shown up earlier this fall. Bad Weather, Good Birds. The Sunday curse was broken.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County