Sometimes we get tense with the intensity of seeking a "mega"
rarity.  That is never an excuse for less than polite, civil
behavior.  The incident below is extracted from a message on the Iowa
listserve.

Every Iowa birder I encountered while chasing the Iowa zooties was
personable, polite, informative and excited to have visitors to share
their bounty with.  Let us hope the incident below is a one-time-only
experience.

I sure hope this guy did not have a Missouri license plate!

"After viewing the Yellow-billed Loon a little after 10am, I tried to
relocate it later, at the same time the Allens did, from Cherry
Glen.  I didn't have any luck either and it was clearly no longer
with the Common Loon that it had been hanging out with earlier.  I
have posted some photos of the bird at: http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/
birdpics/iowa.html
For the first (and probably the last) time, I think I might actually
have gotten better shots than Steve or Jay!

As for Steve's comment about an altercation with an out-of-state
birder, I spoke with the same guy and can say that I have never had
an odder experience with a birder.  To that gentleman if he is
following this listserve:  Why bother asking a local birder for
advice on finding a bird if you aren't going to even let them finish
a sentence and aren't going to follow the advice once given?  You
were given the same advice and directions as the 100's of other
birders who successfully found the bird.  Also, insulting my friend
right to my face was not a good technique for soliciting
information.   And by the way, when you came up to my vehicle to
speak with me, I had a scope full of Yellow-billed Loon.  Had you
been the slightest bit polite I would have pointed out the loon, let
you view it through my scope, and then probably helped you look for
the gull.  Instead, I doubt you saw either and I say, serves you right.

Thankfully, as Steve noted, this was an isolated experience and the
vast, vast majority of birders I have had the pleasure of meeting
around the lake in the last week or so have been friendly and polite
whether they were having luck finding their bird or not."

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO