CAS BRADFORD FARM and SOUTH FARMS FIELD TRIP, departing 9:00 a.m.,
Tuesday, December 4, 2007:

NOTE:  this trip is subject to cancellation due to adverse weather
conditions.  I will post a GO/NO GO message on Mobirds Monday
evening, Dec. 3, between 5 and 7 p.m.

Meet at the OLLI parking lot about 8:45-8:50 and be ready to leave
the lot by 9:00 a.m.
OLLI = Osher Lifelong Learning Institute--MU Extension,  3215 Lemone
Industrial Blvd.  Lemone Industrial Blvd. is the first street to the
south on the east side of US 63 and New Haven Rd. intersection.  This
is the building with the radio tower on top (Zimmer Radio Group sign
at the driveway).  It is the second building past the hotel/
Bennigan's on the corner of AC/New Haven Rd. and Lemone.

We'll carpool to Bradford Farm and be in radio contact.  We will
drive through a portion of South Farms en route to Bradford.

We will be back at OLLI parking lot no later than 11:30 a.m.

What we'll do/be looking for:

At this time of year, we can hope for large flocks of blackbirds that
will have something unusual among them--perhaps Brewer's or Rusty
Blackbirds, or even Great-tailed Grackles.

Lapland Longspurs may be present at Bradford.  (Super good luck might
reveal a Smith's Longspur)

Horned Larks should be plentiful.

Western Meadowlarks may be present as well as Eastern--we'll be
listening very carefully.

The brushpile may shelter American Tree, White-crowned, White-
throated, or even Harris's Sparrows.

Northern Bobwhite may be present.

Raptors may include: Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Northern
Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Bald Eagle, Merlin, Rough-
legged Hawk.

A few waterfowl may be present on the ponds.

Sometimes geese (Canada and/or Snow) may be resting or feeding in the
fields--we'll watch for Ross's, too.

With great luck we could see a Loggerhead Shrike.

Short-eared Owls are on the site, BUT they are crepuscular, that is,
they hunt at dawn and dusk, so we are unlikely to see them during the
trip, but I will indicate where you need to look when you go there
some early evening.

We will mostly bird from vehicles, BUT we just might get out and walk
a bit to increase the chances of seeing some things  (Lapland
Longspurs, for example, don't tend to by right by the roadside).
Dress warmly, in layers.  Bradford Farm can be one of the coldest
places this side of Alberta!

Please let me know by return email if you plan on coming.

Watch for the Monday, Dec. 3 evening GO/NO GO message.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO