Don Burke is a beginning birder but a great photographer.  I'm stumped on the ID of this pinkish bird that eats mosquitos.  Any suggestions?
Bob Lewis   [log in to unmask]
----- Original Message -----
From: Don Burke
To: Robert Lewis
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 2:54 PM
Subject: Another Bird Identification Quesiton...

Robert,

I've been out bow hunting some lately, and have noticed a bird that I'm having a hard time identifying.  If you up to another newbie's question, I'll describe it and see if you can give me some directions.

The first few times I was it it was silloqueted against the lighter sky, and I thought it was a bat.  If you're familiar with what the Air Force calls the Delta Wing pattern on their jets, it actually looks a lot like that, but in reverse -- with the broader wingspan on the leading edge, and tapering to the shorter portion in the rear edge.  But lately I've noticed that it has a pink body -- upper and lower, as best I can tell -- with gray/black wings.  I'm hunting on the woodline adjacent to a cow pasture, and this little creature seems to stay around in the 20-40 yard gap between the trees in the area between the solid woods and the open pasture.  The way it darts around I'm guessing that it's catching mosquitoes or other small flying bugs.  As best I can tell there's probably 2-4 of them in this same area.

I've looked in my field guide, and he Vermilion Flycatcher seemed close (although more red than pink), but Sibley shows it to habitat quite a bit S & W of here.  So, I decided to go straight to the master.  Any guesses?

As always, thanks!

Don