There were some flyover Lesser Scaup at Lake Contrary (Saint Joseph, Missouri) this morning, but they never did make up their minds to land on the lake. At the south end of the lake were a few Mallards and a couple a Ruddy Ducks. Muskrat Lake held the most species of waterfowl. Those represented here were Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal and Ring-necked Duck. Mud Lake, a little south of Muskrat Lake, hosted a Pied-billed Grebe and about a dozen Double-creasted Cormorants. Sitting in a lake side tree was an adult Bald Eagle.

  The little "pony, donkey, llama, goat, etc." farm on Crockett Road was a gathering place for a mixed flock of "blackbirds", Common Grackles, @ 200 Great-tailed Grackles (making a "great deal of noise"), Brewer's Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds and European Starlings.

  Driving around Lake Contrary I was entertained by three or four inquisitive Carolina Wren, a nervously feeding Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a disinterested (in me) Nashville Warbler. I saw what I thought was a cardinal dive into some roadside vines, but upon closer inspection found out that it was a lingering Brown Thrasher.

  I missed the White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows this morning, but did see Savannah, Song, Lincoln's, Swamp, Harris's Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.

  Also, those of you Saint Louis birders who know Dottie and John Herwig, tell them that I did see some Lapland Longspurs again today this time at the "north area" between Lake Contrary and Muskrat Lake. Oddly enough, the longspurs were mixed in with some Horned Larks and Savannah Sparrows, instead of being off by themselves!

   ** The Herwigs were up here yesterday wanting to see some longspurs and missed them.

  Sorry Joe, I did not see the NSHR, PAFA or any of the other birds on your list!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County