This morning we did a little tour around central Missouri haunts.  Bird of
the day was what we believed to be a juvenile Northern Shrike at Whetstone
CA (Callaway County, near the I-70 exit for Williamsburg).  Literally afraid
to call it as so many have been called north of here - thought people might
think we were copy-cats!

A confusing bird for me (but we finally had consensus from all three)
because it had only a trace of a mask - I have only seen both species of
shrike when they had very black masks. National Geo says that Loggerhead
Shrike gets adult plumage by the fall; no mention how long it takes
Northern, but this guy was still working to become himself. If anyone knows,
I would interested to know if the Northern takes longer to get adult
plumage.  Eye-ring, faint horizontal barring full length of chest, very
little white in wing.  Hooked bill very obvious, even without scope view.
Bird was next to the road, about a third of the way down in a bare smallish
tree, surrounded by low scrub.  Once a car spooked it, but it came back to
the tree after about 3-5 minutes; second time it left for good ---- and then
the sparrows came out from the scrub beneath it.   When we returned about 15
minutes later, the bird still had not returned.  There was a mockingbird in
the area, so searchers be warned.

The bird was located on the main gravel road, about 50-75 yards short of the
turn-off toward Windy Lake/Pond #6 (marked on the map).  Hunting going on so
we did not walk any part of the area.

Little Dixie Lake was low and devoid of waterfowl.  Did re-locate pipits at
Bradford, and lots of Killdeer and Horned Larks.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO