WASHINGTON, Nov. 13 — Federal agents investigating the Sept. 16
episode in which Blackwater security personnel shot and killed 17
Iraqi civilians have found that at least 14 of the shootings were
unjustified and violated deadly-force rules in effect for security
contractors in Iraq, according to civilian and military officials
briefed on the case.

Skip to next paragraph
Reach of War
Go to Complete Coverage »
Multimedia

Video Feature
The Blackwater Shooting

The F.B.I. investigation into the shootings in Baghdad is still under
way, but the findings, which indicate that the company’s employees
recklessly used lethal force, are already under review by the Justice
Department.

Prosecutors have yet to decide whether to seek indictments, and some
officials have expressed pessimism that adequate criminal laws exist
to enable them to charge any Blackwater employee with criminal
wrongdoing. Spokesmen for the Justice Department and the F.B.I.
declined to discuss the matter.

The case could be one of the first thorny issues to be decided by
Michael B. Mukasey, who was sworn in as attorney general last week.
He may be faced with a decision to turn down a prosecution on legal
grounds at a time when a furor has erupted in Congress about the
administration’s failure to hold security contractors accountable
for their misdeeds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/14/world/middleeast/14blackwater.html?
_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

No comment.