I don't believe it's a matter of mental stability.  Rather, some people are more open to ideas and intellectual emotions than others.

In a message dated 11/13/2007 4:57:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
At 11:08 AM 11/13/2007, Diana Manister wrote:
>Eliot wrote:
>"our lives are mostly a constant evasion of ourselves"
>
>Dear CR: That's my point exactly. Even when people want to change, to have
>more fulfilled lives, they resist even the skillful efforts of trained
>therapists to allow repressed desires to enter awareness.

   Diana,

  Eliot pointed out somewhere that a neurotic person will not respond well
to poetry, while presumably a healthy person at least meets that
requirement. The people who "want to change" and are in the company of a
therapist are probably among the former group.

The case of people who want to change and have no call to visit a therapist
may be quite different. Seems to me it's no sillier to think that a healthy
person can profit in a human way from poetry than not to think that the
afflicted would be resistant especially (not "even") to "trained therapists."

  It also seems to me that brutes need not apply. To be human is to be
capable of greater humanity. A skilled, not necessarily trained, creative
teacher helps.

Ken A.