Peter, a book I'm reading at the moment, Reading Gertrude Stein, Body, Text, Gnosis, by Lisa Ruddick, makes a detailed and convincing case for Stein's having done exactly that. The book is a bit overloaded with ideas from Freud/Kristeva for my taste, but the author traces Stein's acceptance of what Stein felt were traits in herself that resembled her father, after her initial rejection of everything he represented, and her acceptance of her female traits after having been disgusted at her mother's domination by her father and Stein's reluctance to emulate what she saw as weakness. Diana

I wonder if anyone has ever managed to do that.