Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Adam's punishment it would seem, is to have to rule over Eve (and work)
Doesn't look like he had much choice in the matter, either.

P.
  Therein lies the rub, man !
  Not that there isn't another side to the story.
  As for Diana's individuation, "my own circle" to each :

    My external sensations are no less private to myself
    than are my thoughts or my feelings. In either case
    my experience falls within my own circle, a circle closed
    on the outside; and, with all its elements alike, every sphere
    is opaque to the others which surround it. . . . In brief,
    regarded as an existence which appears in a soul,
    the whole world for each is peculiar and private to that soul.
                    ~ F.H. Bradley, Appearance and Reality

  A little off-topic maybe but, as for the literalist/non-literalist controversy,
  apropos the myths, it should be interesting to read the following :

  What's in a name? The rites and wrongs of poetry
      American Poetry Review, The,  Nov/Dec 1999  by Weiss, Theodore

  "In such fashion, the ancients, through mythical figures, confronted and illuminated their natures and their lives. "

  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3692/is_199911/ai_n8866821

  CR