Ezra Pound, we know, was extremely well read when he took up broadcasting for Mussolini.

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 11/6/2007 3:29 PM >>>
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> Nancy Gish wrote:
>
> It has often been pointed out that members of Hitler's SAS were deeply read in great literature.
> Citation?

At one time any how this was widely mentioned enough that to give a
citation for the information would be something like giving a citation
for the observation that Pope was the author of the Dunciad. It long ago
became common coin. Of course Bloom himself is an instance of reading of
the "classics" generating contempt rather than compassion for those
bereft of such knowledge.

Eliot's mentor, Irving Babbitt, showed enough understanding and approval
of Mussolini's Italy that Blackmur was moved to remark that the castor
oil treatment was no more humanist than it was humanitarian.

Carrol