June 3, 1964
T. S. Eliot   (1888 - 1965)

Eliot, Groucho, Duck Soup

by Steve King

	On this day in 1964, T. S. Eliot wrote to Groucho Marx to confirm that a car
would be at waiting at the Savoy to pick "you and Mrs. Groucho" up for dinner.
Eliot also noted that Groucho's announcement of having "come to London to see me
has greatly enhanced my credit in the neighbourhood, and particularly with the
green grocer across the street." Eliot began corresponding with Marx several
years earlier, having first sent a fan letter saying how much he enjoyed his
movies. They exchanged photographs -- Eliot had to ask for a second of Groucho
as his first one had no cigar -- and over several years tried to arrange an
occasion for dinner or, as envisioned by Groucho, an evening wherein "you and I
will get drunk together

http://www.todayinliterature.com/stories.asp?Event_Date=6/3/1964