I don't believe it's a matter of mental stability.  Rather, some  people are
more open to ideas and intellectual emotions than others.

In a message dated 11/13/2007 4:57:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

At 11:08  AM 11/13/2007, Diana Manister wrote:
>Eliot wrote:
>"our lives are  mostly a constant evasion of ourselves"
>
>Dear CR: That's my  point exactly. Even when people want to change, to have
>more fulfilled  lives, they resist even the skillful efforts of trained
>therapists to  allow repressed desires to enter awareness.

Diana,

Eliot pointed out somewhere that a neurotic person will  not respond well
to poetry, while presumably a healthy person at least  meets that
requirement. The people who "want to change" and are in the  company of a
therapist are probably among the former group.

The  case of people who want to change and have no call to visit a therapist
may be quite different. Seems to me it's no sillier to think that a  healthy
person can profit in a human way from poetry than not to think  that the
afflicted would be resistant especially (not "even") to "trained  therapists."

It also seems to me that brutes need not apply. To  be human is to be
capable of greater humanity. A skilled, not necessarily  trained, creative
teacher helps.

Ken A.