My thought was that I didn't understand what CR had observed.  Then when
he answered, I wondered how he saw the compassion manifest, how slight
the slightest exposure was, why the effects he saw could accurately be
attributable to this exposure, how his commerce students differed from
others,  were they brutes before, and so forth.

I try to continually get my students to think about humanity.  I tell
them that "man's inhumanity to man" (explaining about the use of man...)
is more accurately "man's humanity to man," since it is our behavior.
I'm relentless, I hope, in presenting opportunities to think hard and
deeply about humankind in response to good and great writing, but I
don't turn literature (including the classics) into sociology or
morality teaching, unless a given work asks to be read that way (can't
think of any that do, but I don't count out finding such).  I don't
assume I begin with brutes and end with angels.  I see character
revealed in my students, but I don't concern myself with it in a
different way than I do with anyone's; that is, I respect their autonomy
and don't think them other than people.  So, I wondered about CR's
experiences since they seem so different than mine.

As to whether the slightest exposure (reading a fragment of Sappho) or a
scrupulous course (or many) of study (in an institution or in life) is
the cause of all subsequent behavior and thought, I think the discussion
is off onto a ridiculous angle.  The brutes and the angels both drink water.

(I make no claim that these are "thoughts of my own" sans what I have
learned from others),
Marcia