The Department of Languages and Literature, University of Utah, presents

Confutati - Graduate Student Symposium

February 21-23, 2008

Vox Populi / Vox Poetica

Abstracts due January 11, 2008

Vox populi/vox poetica. The voice of the people, the voice of the poet.
In a rapidly globalizing world, more and more voices circulate and are
heard. In an increasingly digital universe, voices intersect and diverge
in new ways; are disembodied, break down. In the academy, scholars
explore and celebrate the extraordinary range of "vox" speaking through
literature and through culture today. Traditionally marginalized, the
popular voice joins the poet's voice in our seminars and in our
research. Graduate students, marginal voices in the profession, are
uniquely poised to interrogate the complex 21st-century relationship
between the popular and the poetic.

Our 4th annual graduate symposium asks the questions: In what ways has
the popular been identified with the marginal, both historically and
presently, poetically and culturally? In what ways has the popular
become integral to the current mission of the Humanities? How can we, as
graduate students of Comparative Studies, take advantage of the current
atmosphere of disciplinary flux in the academy to redraw the frontiers
(national, cultural, theoretical, aesthetic) of the popular and the poetic?

Keynote address by Michael Palencia-Roth, Trowbridge Scholar in Literary
Studies and Emeritus Professor of Comparative and World Literature at
University of Illinois (Urbana).

Participants may submit their papers for consideration in the refereed
graduate journal, Utah Foreign Language Review

We invite submissions on, but not limited to:
• The role of the Graduate Student: Virtues and vices of working in the
margins in academe
• Aesthetics in/of the vox populi vs. the vox poetica
• Vox populi as a revolutionary voice
• Vox poetica as inherently exclusionary and/or its ability/inability to
embody the vox populi.
• Economically marginalized voices
• Race, Gender, Ethnicity, and their affects on voice across media
• De-centering and fluidity of critical voices
• Constructions of critical voices
• ‘The Critic’ throughout history, both as character and/or as author
• Re-engaging with forgotten voices
• Pop Culture (of any form or media)

For information and submission, contact [log in to unmask]