From: Amy Johnson <amjohnson3_at_wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 02:27:25 -0400 (EDT)

Death is an arrival and a departure for the deceased, as well as for
those left behind - who leave
one kind of life and arrive, like the dead, in uncharted territory.
Culturally, we are awash in stories
of the dead, which signifies the desire to come to terms with death
and loss as well as the refusal to do so. We propose a seminar to
investigate the various manifestations of death in narrative, from
corpses to caesuras, the death of the author to Diana Fuss's
conception of "last words," and
surrealism's exquisite corpses.

We are looking for submissions which address death and the bodily
changes that accompany it from as many angles as possible -
political, humorous, formal, narratorial and so on. How are death and
the dead objectified in different forms - poetry, prose, film? What
is the perspective of the dead?

How do we make sense of narratives about dead bodies or narratives
from the perspective of a dead creature? How might we explain, for
instance, the current cycle of horror films and television series
focusing on zombies and vampires? How and why are these contemporary
creatures different from their literary ancestors? Why are stories of
the dead so compelling even while discomfiting us? Have narratives of
the dead changed over time (from Defoe's A Journal of the Plague Year
to Ondaatje's Anil's Ghost, for example)? What do narratives of death
and the dead share across cultures? Where do they differ?

http://www.acla.org/acla2008/
Propose a paper: http://www.acla.org/acla2008/?page_id=5