My old Friend Clint Trammel and I have often discussed and agreed that the Easter freeze of 2007 was going to have a devastating effect on acorns, hickory, walnut, persimmons, Paw paw, Carolina buck bush, dogwood, and many other plants whose fruit serves as a food source for wildlife............... for the most part these plants were not going to flower this year and that fall fruit would be hard to find. On the other hand native warm season grasses and forbs have done well and there seems to be an very good inventory of these food sources all across the Ozarks.

We also know that the food supply north of us is low compared to previous years, we are already seeing an invasion of Red breasted Nuthatches. Pine Siskin are in the area as are Purple Finch, and it is not even November. How long before the Crossbill's and Redpoll show up?

Couple this with the worse drought in recorded history in most states in the Southeast, a situation that will certainly create movement of birds looking for food and you have the perfect storm that creates the potential for a banner year for migrant birds in our state. (Anyone seen a Brown headed Nuthatch lately)  In fact we are already beginning to see just that. It is only a hypothesis, but nature has created a situation where Missouri might well serve as a sanctuary for many birds this winter, and as birders that has to be an exciting prospect.

Keep those feeders full and get ready for an exciting winter of birding, who know what might be stopping by your feeder this winter.

Bird on by friends, bird on!

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO