Sherry McCowan and Margy Terpstra led a walk at Castlewood SP, joined  by 4 other birders.  (Jim Ziebol, Nick Brown and Joan and Barbara from IL.  I'm sorry I didn't write down the ladies' last names.) We had a total of 34 species on a beautiful Sunday morning.  Here are some highlights:

White-throated Sparrows -in several locations, moving about in small groups

Ruby-crowned Kinglets - in a few places

Golden-crowned Kinglet - one near the boat ramp area

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- one, maybe two behind headquarters

Yellow-rumped Warblers

E. Phoebes - at several places, one dipping into the creek for insects on the surface

Nashville W. off the trail behind headquarters, on the gravel bar area of the creek, just west of the field

Orange-crowned W. near the creek at the second bend from the bridge close to the picnic area and restrooms

Turkey Vultures - more than 40 basking in the sun, in a few trees in the same area as the Orange-crowned

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

All three sparrows were on the gravel bar area of the creek behind headquarters, just west of the field

We really were enjoying the sparrows, Nashville W., Am. Goldfinches and others when we were surrounded by 3 male Carolina Wrens.  "Tri-phonic" rounds of singing  ensued; their mates trilled in answer.  It was so entertaining.

We saw a large group of Am. Crows across from the boat ramp, circling and raising a ruckus.  We surmised that there must have been an owl or hawk at the center of attention.

We heard one Red-shouldered Hawk cry out a couple times. Otherwise, the only other raptor was an accipiter, spotted by Nick Brown.

We did have a Hairy WP, and were hoping for a Pileated WP and Winter Wren, but did not see these. One hiker passed us and asked what we were looking at, then told us there were good birds up on the Bluff Trail ~ he had seen 'Giant Woodpeckers'!  I had the feeling he was glad he could tell somebody that might understand!

Flyovers included Killdeer, Chimney Swifts, and a flock of 50+ E. Starlings.  Heard only birds were a Belted Kingfisher and Mallards along the creek.

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis County, MO