On occasion I have posted sightings of Coopers Hawks I have seen from my own home.  Back in the spring when the thread was going on our nemesis birds in my early days of birding the Coopers Hawk would have been among that list.  For years I had never seen one and thought it would be a challenge to actively search for one (this was before the regular postings in Tower Grove park).  My life sighting was not far from my own house on a fly by and since then many sightings from within my property.

  Earlier this week while sitting in my recliner a bird went by and a juv. Coopers Hawk landed on my deck railing close enough to see the eye color.  I thought that would the closest I would be to one but this evening while changing hummingbird feeders he/she came back and onto the railing about 8 feet away.  Upon seeing the deck was occupied the hawk moved on but what an exciting encounter.  I guess the hawk figured out it is a great view from there.

  Another unusual sighting I had involved a hummingbird.  The dominant hummer usually perches in the bay berry plant not far away guarding the feeder, but I had one for a few days perching on the ant moat above the feeder.  I guess like the hawk the hummingbird figured out a view from above is easier.