I took a short break and drove out to Little Prairie Lake this evening around 6:30 pm, but before I even reached the lake I noticed the sky was specked with Night Hawks. I watch 100's of Night Hawks circle the sky in the immediate area but then I set up my scope; as far as I could see there were Night Hawks circling the evening sky. This is the third migration I have caught over Rolla in the last ten years and I would not be far off by saying that there were at least 3.000 if not more in the area.

While watching the Night Hawks I notice a large group of small birds heading my way, it was a large flock of Chimney Swifts migrating south, I watcher the swifts for at least 10 to 15 minutes and estimate there were well over 500. The swifts were flying about 100/150 feet higher than the night hawks. But wait there is more!.

High above the swifts I picked up a very large gathering of what looked like warblers. The evening sky was gray and the sun was setting so identification was all but impossible but the profile of the bird was that of a warbler. All I could see was a small flash of white on a tail feather now and then. Again there were 100's heading south about 15 minutes before the sun set.

Great evening to be watching the sky.

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO