I birded Pershing SP (Linn Co.), Swan Lake NWR (Chariton Co.), Fountain
Grove CA (Linn-Livingston Co.), and Long Branch SP (Macon Co.) today
(09/02/07). Highlights: warblers (18 species) at Pershing and terns (4
species) at Fountain Grove CA. Big disappointment: Swan Meadow NWR (I meant
Lake, which does not exist, so the refuge needs to be renamed:) - most of
the refuge is dry, but the Silver lake is too full, as a result almost no
birds to mention.
Took over 600 pictures today. It will take a while to go through them, but I
will post them in my gallery later on. Got some terrific close-ups of
warblers.
I started that beautiful morning at Pershing SP boardwalk. I hit a warber
"tsunami" right in the parking lot. The other two best spots were on the
bridge over the Locust Creek and on the boardwalk along the marshy area with
willows on the south side. Here are the highlights:
Warblers:
Northern parula - 20
Orange-crowned - 40
Tennessee - 60
Golden-winged -1
Nashville - 15
Yellow - 1
Chestnut-sided - 25
CAPE MAY - 2 (State bird for me!!!)
BLACKBURNIAN - 3
Black-throated green - 12
Palm - 1
BAY-BREASTED - 2
Prothonotary - 14
Black-and-white - 10
American redstart - 6
Ovenbird - 2
Common yellowthroat - 1
WIlson's - 4
Other birds
Red-shouldered hawk
Yellow-billed cuckoo
BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO - 1
Pileated woodpecker - 2
Yellow-throated vireo - 4
After living in NW MO for six years I was pretty excited to see 2
blackburnians, a Cape May and a bay-breasted warbler in one tree!
Chestnut-sided were everywhere. I never experienced that kind of warblering
in NW MO. Felt almost like the Chicago lakefront!

Fountain Grove CA:
Caspian tern - 4 (Che Ru lake)
Common tern - 1 (Che Ru lake)
Least tern - 1 (Che Ru lake)
Black tern - 2 (Bittern marsh)
Ring-billed gull (Che Ru lake) Spotted sandpiper (Che Ru lake)
 Great egret
American white pelican - 400-500 (Che Ru lake and Prarie pond)
Double-crested cormorant
Sedge wren - 2 vocalizing near the headquarters (education classroom
building)
Lastly I checked the area of Long Branch Lake north of XA highway (Macon
Co.), where Patrick Harrison reported shorebird habitat. The diversity is
way down. That's all I saw:
Pectoral sandpiper
Least sandpiper
Killdeer