I spent a short time at Burr Oak Woods this morning. Birding just at the
picnic area at the west end of the CA near the stream and along the Bethany
Falls Trail to the first bench, I noted the following:

Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Canada Warbler
Parula Warbler
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Trail's (sp?) Flycatcher
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Hummingbird

I have been birding for 60 years, and I keep learning basic things -- e.g.
when warblers come through in fall. I have always heard that adult warblers
start to migrate in August, but, except for one late August day following a
strong cold front during which Mick McHugh and I ticked 15 warblers in west
central MO, I have rarely seen evidence of it. It is usually mid-September
before I notice any sort of robust fall warbler migration, and it often
continues until early October. The reports we have been getting from
Pershing State Park -- day after day -- of  large numbers of warblers in
very early September, are a mind-opener for me. My own modest experience
today -- 7 species in 1 place in less than an hour -- is teaching me to get
out earlier in September.

If this is just the beginning, it should be terrific when it really gets
going!

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri