Nathan, Eliot has been an influence on contemporary language-centered poetry, although not so much as
Pound or Williams or Stein. In his use of found speech fragments in The Waste Land he created polyphony
or multiplicity of voices that goes beyond the univocal Romantic lyric in a manner that can be called Post-
modern. He also foregrounded individual words and phrases to a greater extent than earlier poetry did.

His poetry provides new models for poets searching for alternatives to forms of narrative and lyric associated with
Romanticism. He may be a dead white guy, but his ghost still haunts poetry!

Diana