Thanks to Robert Lewis' Report, I was prompted to take a break from moving
into our new house and visit Otter Slough.

After work Friday (8/24), I MISSED the Willet and Phalarope, but did get a
couple LIFERS.
Present on Conservation Lane (at the first pull off/turn around) was a Red
Knot foraging around in the disced field on the East Side of some still
standing grasses while on the West side of the same grass was an Upland
Sandpiper warily watching me watch it.

Also of note: an Osprey was hovering over the lake (where everyone fishes),
and a beautiful healthy Bobcat was stalking toward a large mixed flock of
egrets and herons that had accumulated in a drying pool that was once Otter
Lake (located behind the headquarters building)!

Sunday a.m. (8/26):
The Red Knot was still present in same area listed above. Approximately 33
Northern Shovelers were new additions, present and feeding near and between
Blue-winged Teals. A Peregreing Falcon was seen perched in the lone dead
tree (located in the center of the field East of Conservation Lane) and
later seen in flight/chase over the eastern edge of Otter Slough. A Bald
Eagle was perched atop a utility pole at the far South end of Otter Slough
boundary within a half a mile from a Loggerhead Shrike. There were 5 Stilt
Sandpipers present in one of the wet fields (I don't have the pool # at this
time) along with a Short-billed Dowitcher. A single Hooded Merganser was
present along the water's edge of the drying pool located behind the
headquarters building.

On the home front: After being in our house 5 days, we finally put our
hummingbird feeder up, and not more than 3 minutes afterward (with my wife
reclined in the hammock just below the feeder) had a female Ruby-throat pay
us a visit. Like bees to honey! Oh, and what I thought to be a chance
encounter - hearing the Barn Owls at the neighbors property would appear to
not be so chancy. I have heard the Barn Owls 5 of the last 6 nights -
possibly neighbors?

Sorry for the late post, as computer problems have left us web-challenged. I
will try to get Cache data updated when I can.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

http://travel.msn.com/Articles/aboutfarecast.aspx&ocid=T001MSN25A07001