This Summer my son put a water feature in the back yard -- pool with fountain & waterfall to a lower pool.  Now I really see the birds flocking to it!   A little hummer tries out the dropplets splashing from the fountain nightly & there's been eleven different species bathing or drinking at the base of the waterfall & stream to the lower pool.  This evening there was an American Redstart, Kentucky Warbler and just now, a Hermit thrush was drinking.  This brutal hot weather is really forcing birds to find water anywhere.
I noticed the hummer was so-o-o-o skinny.  At first I thought "this year bird" but it had the full red throat of the mature male.  I wonder if the lack of blooms/nectar will have an effect on the weight gain they need to migrate?
Anyway, if you want to see lots of birds, a water fountain/pool/birdbath is the way to go.

                                                                                              Ann Wethington
                                                                                              N Phelps Co.