Hey all,

  One other note- if you've already submitted a report to me, there's no need to re-submit, I will forward them on to Josh myself.

  A big thanks to Josh for taking this on, and also thanks for letting me be your summer editor for the last four years. I've enjoyed it.

  Andy

William Rowe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  To all ASM members:

First, a big thanks to Andy Forbes, who has served as summer season
editor of the Bluebird for the past four years, 2003-06. Editing a
seasonal report is a major task; moreover, it is a volunteer activity
that consumes a good deal of one's personal time. We are grateful to
Andy for his willingness to make this commitment for the past four
years. As of this summer, other new commitments mean that he can't
sustain this one any longer.

Our new volunteer, who has taken up the challenge with alacrity, is
our own RBA compiler, Josh Uffman. He will compile the summer season
2007 report for the Bluebird, covering the months of June and July
only, as usual. The normal deadline for submission of material for
this report would have been August 10, but since that date is past,
we ask that you get your material to Josh by this Friday, August 17,
if possible, or by next Monday, August 20, at the latest.

E-mail is always an efficient way of submitting seasonal notes; if
that is your choice, please send to Josh at birdsandbugs AT
sbcglobal.net. If you prefer the U.S. mail, send to him at 420 North
Clay Ave., St. Louis, MO 63135. Here are some reminders about the
preferred format and content of seasonal notes:

Seasonal report guidelines: We hope that all birders who are
reporting seasonal observations will follow some general guidelines
that make the compilation of the report easier on the editor and more
reliable in its content. (1) Please do submit your records of
anything that was noteworthy in a season of observation: rare
species, unusual numbers (large or small), population trends, unusual
arrival or departure dates, etc. (2) In doing so, please do your own
editing and make your own decisions as to what is significant. In
particular, please donít merely submit lists of all birds seen on
field trips! The editor then has to guess which species and numbers
were noteworthy for your areaóand that should be your job since you
know your local territory best. (3) Please donít rely on posting on
Mobirds-L as a way of getting an observation into the permanent
record. There is a huge volume of these posts, and the seasonal
editor simply cannot sift through a whole season of them to find the
ones that merit inclusion. If an observation was worthy of note,
repeat it in your report. (4) Put your report in any sensible
format, listed either by date or by species (in check-list order if
possible). (5) Please check to see if any of the species you report
need to be documented. You can look at a hard copy of the Annotated
Check-list of Missouri Birds (or better yet, at the more up-to-date
on-line version at mobirds.org) to make this determination. Any
species that is listed as accidental or casual statewide, or for a
given region or season, should be documented using the form that is
also downloadable at mobirds.org. Send documentation to the
Secretary, Bill Rowe, 9033 Big Bend, St. Louis, MO 63119, or rowe AT
tjs.org. If you are uncertain about documenting, contact the
Secretary and check with him beforehand. Documentation of this type
does not need to be submitted to the seasonal editor too, but it is
helpful if you let the editor know that you have sent documentation
to the MBRC. (6) Please try to include some descriptive details for
the editor if you are reporting a species that is rare but not rare
enough to require full documentation, especially if identification of
the species can be a problem. Examples might be a Pacific Loon, a
juvenile Northern Goshawk, a female Black-throated Blue Warbler, or
Western Meadowlarks in unexpected locations or numbers. Even brief
notes on the birdís field marks or voice will reassure the seasonal
editor about the identification, and it can then be sent with more
confidence to North American Birds for the Iowa/Missouri regional
report.

Let's all try to get some good, coherent notes to Josh this week so
that he can easily follow in Andy's footsteps with the next summer
season report. These reports are our best published means of
tracking the trends in Missouri's avifauna. So thanks to all of you,
in advance, for contributing your observations, and thanks to Josh
for taking this job on.

Bill Rowe
Secretary, MBRC
St. Louis

P.S. Remember -- if you are birding right now, you are in the fall
season, and you're gathering material for Bill Eddleman's fall report!

* *
* To access the Audubon Society of Missouri Web *
* Site: http://mobirds.org *