Dave in St. Louis and Mobirdsters -

Dave F. commented the other day about observing  Red-shouldered Hawks in a
suburban area of metro St. Louis.

Here in Joplin, southwest MO., I have noticed residential Red-shouldered's
also
for the past 8 or 10 years or so.  Prior to that they were found here only
along the
streams.  Most notably Shoal Creek in Newton County, Center Creek in Jasper
County, and one or two other streams of the Spring River basin, but
especially
Shoal Creek. We can just go back 20 years when we moved here.

A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks nested behind us this spring and we are about
two miles north of the nearest stream, Turkey Creek, which flows on the
south
side of the MSSU campus.

I'm just agreeing with Dave and have commented on Red-shouldered Hawks in
residential areas here in recent years too.  Having said that I haven't
noticed one
residentially in August yet in Joplin although I have been very busy.

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin (Jasper County) MO.