Actually it was the God (or is that a small g) of Serendipity that came
through for us. She and/or he smiled on us yesterday.  The real pleasure was
standing in an open field next to the ditch and have the bird do a smooth
360 about 60ft over our head and then descend back into the confines of the
ditch tunnel.  Much better than having a squadron of fighter jets do a
flyover for us.

And congrats to Marvin DeJong for getting a neat picture of the stork at
it's usual ditch hangout.  I had attempted taking a digiscope picture and
all I got was a ghostly gray bunch of drowned trees.

We had a pleasant Swainson's Hawk surprise this past week too.  The other
day Jerry Williams spotted an immature hawk along the area south of the
Federal Hospital Prison on Kansas Expressway (west central Springfield).  He
determined it was an immature Swainson's Hawk that has since been confirmed.
The bird was hanging out near the area where up until last summer a Swainson
Hawk annually nested.  Due to development of the industrial area it did not
nest there last year and we assumed (that nasty word) it had moved to a new
location.  When I checked the historical tree line of previous nesting, I
found a hawk nest, the immature hanging out on a telephone pole near the
nest, and an adult Swainson's putting up a fuss when I got to close to the
pole.  Never say never.

Charley Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon
Greene County