     On our way back to Columbia today Brad Jacobs, Phil Wire, and I stopped
in at Settle's Ford CA in Bates County to have a look around.  We started on
the south side of the South Grand River where we didn't see much of interest
past a Yellow-throated Vireo and a Yellow-throated Warbler.  However, once
we got to the north side of the area that all changed.  Just west of the
Waterfowl Refuge (Pool 1-5) we found a huge concentration of shorebirds.
Our conservative estimate was 6000 though we assume that there were many
more there than that.  The highlight was a single PIPING PLOVER which
scurried around looking like a snowball on the mudflats the entire time we
were there.  By far the majority of this flock was Pectorals (4500+) but
there were also large numbers of Killdeer (1000+) as well as peeps and
Semipalmated Plovers.  Also in this area was a Little Blue Heron, 2
Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 1 Forster's Tern, 7 Black Terns, and a calling
Sedge Wren.

     Specifically to get to this area one needs to walk 0.7 to 0.8 miles
east on the distribution channel dike which heads to the north side of the
Waterfowl Refuge.  Just before the Waterfowl Refuge the water has backed up
into the crop fields leaving smooth mud and sheet water over a large area
creating optimal shorebird conditions best viewed in the morning hours.  Of
course there is no guarantee how long these flats will continue so I would
suggest heading out there soon to anyone looking for shorebirds this Fall in
Missouri.

Scott Schuette
Troy, MO

Location:     Settle's Ford CA