Gary Johnson and I observed the Wood Stork at 4 Rivers CA at about 1:00 p.m.
today. We missed it on our first scan of the egret roost where it has been
reported in the past.. After drving the rest of the refuge, we returned to
the roost and found the Wood Stork  It was near the other birds but recessed
somewhat down and to the rear so that it did not stand out and could only be
found by careful looking.

There were hundreds of shore birds of eleven species at the East Unit.
Nothing terribly unusual.

We did not get to the Ducks Unlimited unit.

We were surprised NOT to find any Mississippi Kites in either unit at
4-Rivers or on the Horton Road.  Then we were further surprised when we DID
FIND two MISSISSIPPI KITES soaring over the western portion of Schell Osage
W.M.A.

We got stuck at Schell Osage, had to be towed out and for that reason did
not get to bird much of that CA.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri