A recent comment on Mobirds:
I'm paying a sales tax for conservation. I'd like to benefit from
that just like every hunter and fisherman. But I don't see too much
headed my way.

As birders, we go to conservation areas with hopes and expectations.
Sometimes we are confronted with conditions that appear to be in
conflict with immediate gratification of those expectations--for
ourselves and for the birds we seek to see.

What we do next is important.  We can wail, rail and cavil at
perceived wrongs, or we can seek explanations for what we observe.
Then, if we do not find the explanations satisfactory, we can work
for change.

Most of you are aware of the organization that sponsors this
listserve--the Audubon Society of Missouri.  Many of you are members;
others of you should be.  One of the functions of ASM is formal
interaction with MDC on behalf of birds and birders.  ASM has an
Access and Issues Committee.  This group brings concerns and
questions of birders to the attention of MDC administrators in face-
to-face meetings.

If you have observations or concerns about management of MDC
properties or access by birders to MDC lands, post your observation/
concerns/questions to Mobirds with the header: Attn. ASM Access/
Issues.  Your concerns will be addressed in a meeting of the ASM
committee and MDC, and you will be informed of the results of that
meeting.

The meeting may not be immediate.  The results may or may not be what
you had hoped for.  But the matter will have been discussed in depth,
in context of statewide practices, and constructively.

"The only constant is change."

Better birding for all,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO