     This afternoon was the first chance I had to check the Sandy Slough and
Winfield Lock and Dam area for over a week so I was pleased to see the
extensive mudflats are there now.  Unfortunately the grass is starting to
encroach on much of the area but at least at this point it is not bad enough
to disrupt any views of the birds so hopefully that will continue.  By far
the 3 most common shorebirds were Killdeer, Least Sandpiper, and Pectoral
Sandpiper but I was shocked by the number of Solitary Sandpipers in the
upper part of the slough, I counted at least 75 but there were likely more
than what I could see in my time there.  Also of note was at least 1 Western
Sandpiper among the peeps near the bridge and 7 or more Baird's Sandpipers.
I also checked the Keeteman Road Sod Farms afterwards but saw only Killdeer.

Scott Schuette
Troy, MO

Location:     Winfield Lock & Dam 25
Observation date:     8/4/07
Number of species:     52

Canada Goose     251
Northern Bobwhite     1
American White Pelican     3
Double-crested Cormorant     15
Great Blue Heron     23
Great Egret     8
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Semipalmated Plover     22
Killdeer     364
Greater Yellowlegs     2
Lesser Yellowlegs     1
Solitary Sandpiper     75
Spotted Sandpiper     38
Semipalmated Sandpiper     39
Western Sandpiper     1
Least Sandpiper     251
Baird's Sandpiper     7
Pectoral Sandpiper     264
Ring-billed Gull     13
Forster's Tern     2
Rock Pigeon     10
Mourning Dove     5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo     2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     1
Red-headed Woodpecker     3
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Great Crested Flycatcher     1
Eastern Kingbird     2
Fish Crow     3
Horned Lark     1
Purple Martin     5
Tree Swallow     2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     15
Bank Swallow     5
Cliff Swallow     75
Barn Swallow     25
Black-capped Chickadee     1
Carolina Wren     1
American Robin     2
European Starling     25
Common Yellowthroat     1
Song Sparrow     2
Northern Cardinal     4
Indigo Bunting     5
Dickcissel     3
Red-winged Blackbird     10
Eastern Meadowlark     4
Common Grackle     25
Brown-headed Cowbird     2
American Goldfinch     3
Eurasian Tree Sparrow     6

Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes!