Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
cf "Murder" and 4Q
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gunnar Jauch
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:04 AM
  Subject: Re: Fearing death by water

  Am 09.08.2007 um 00:37 schrieb Rickard A. Parker:

    Gunnar Jauch wrote:

      Rick,
      did you consider the last line of Prufrock:
      "Till human voices wake us, and we drown."
      They seem to imply redemption by  seaweed wreathed sea-girls as well
      as fear.

    Yes, I did.  I see the fear there being of the human voices and I
    would recite the line with "and we drown" just in a manner-of-fact tone.

    Regards,
        Rick Parker

  True.
  To me, however,  that fear consisted in the dread of waking up from a dream, a dream we call life, being cast back into reality and drowning.

  In a Wonderland they lie,
  Dreaming as the days go by,
  Dreaming as the summers die:

  Ever drifting down the stream --
  Lingering in the golden dream --
  Life, what is it but a dream?

  B.t.w.: Did you know that the first letters of the last 21 lines of "Through the Looking Glass", nympholeptic paedophiliac  Charles Dodgeson's masterpiece, spell out "ALICE PLEASANCE LIDDELL"?

  Gunnar