From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: The boat imagery in TWL

Ken,

To Eliot, the death of the Self is ancillary to spiritual rebirth.
One has first to arrive at the stage of what Saint John of the Cross
called The Dark Night of the Soul. Here's how 'Burnt Norton'
describes it :

 Descend lower, descend only
Into the world of perpetual solitude,
World not world, but that which is not world,
Internal darkness, deprivation
And destitution of all property,
Desiccation of the world of sense,
Evacuation of the world of fancy,
Inoperancy of the world of spirit;
This is the one way, and the other
Is the same, not in movement
But abstention from movement; while the world moves
In appetency, on its metalled ways
Of time past and time future.

Regards,
CR

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At 07:18 PM 7/30/2007, Barnwell Black wrote:
>CR,
> Contrast this with the entirely different boat/ship imagery in
> "The Dry Salvages" II and III where the imagery used by the "older"
> post-conversion T. S. Eliot is focused upon the path toward the death of
> the Self and spiritual rebirth.

Barnwell,

//Where exactly is the death of the Self in TSE?// And do you mean Self
instead of self (or what is the distinction)? My thought is that TSE, pre-
or post-conversion, would be more inclined to turn the self toward God than
to extinguish it.

Thanks,
Ken A.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.