An attitude is one thing, a meaning is another.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 5:33 AM
  Subject: Re: Water in TWL--why?

  Peter, symbolism and surrealism have entirely different and contradictory attitudes toward imagery. Diana

    Symbols in the non-literate and non-verbal arts can have the effect of
    words.
    Think of Dali's melting clocks. Then, of course, there is the treatment of
    text as art. There the meaning may not be in the words at all.

    Cheers,
    Peter