From: "Nancy Gish" <[log in to unmask]>

> My concern is the need for some genuine discussion and debate about the
> poetry in place of a series of statements that assume (as opposed to
> justify) that what we are discussing is religion.

Then there is the possibility of discussing the poem on the basis of its
techné
rather than of it is meaning (if it has any). Grant that it has its own
integrity
that cannot be reduced to a set of sentences, and then look at how it
achieves
its effects (individual and over all).

Just as this list can't seem to get beyond TWL, it can't seem to get into
the
technical artistic dimensions of the work. For some asthetic approaches, the
medium is indeed the message.

P.